Friday, November 22, 2013

11/22/13...and the night before

OK, before I talk about the great things that happened today, I need to tell you a little story about last night.

So I've been really stressed with this entrepreneurial project, mainly because 1 professor just wouldn't green light the idea, and it was all for quite stupidly specific things. One being "well you can't lift a tire with cardboard." "So what's the coefficient of friction that you need in order to get the tire to slide?" And other overly specific things. All the other groups didn't have to give super specifics when they were trying to greenlight their idea. Oh, and this wasn't at the time of actually building the thing, it was when we were just trying to get the idea approved. Oh, and now we have 2 weeks to build a working prototype, and we can't start construction until we get the idea approved.

So I'm in the shower, knowing that tomorrow (today) was the last day we could get it approved. I'm stressing, knowing that my group and I need to get a final plan of attack, and we had to do it before class started. Then I remembered, I was meeting with my marketing group to work on our marketing project before that class. I lean over, rest my head against the shower wall, and...well...here's how I can describe it.

For about 2 minutes, all the thoughts in my head, all the thinking, all the worries, all the stress, just stopped. All I was aware of was the sound of the water running over me, and even then I wasn't fully aware of that until maybe 1 minute in. Then when I realize where I was and what I was doing, I finished showering and stepped out to dry off. As I look into the mirror, I became very fascinated by the facial expressions I could do. I was fascinated by the way my muscles altered my appearance. I stood there, playing with my reflection for probably 10 minutes, involving my hand and the towel after maybe 3-4 minutes. I was out of it. Then when I got out of the bathroom, I was fascinated by all the stuff in my room. I walked over to the pringles can, being cautious because I wasn't sure what it was capable of. Then when I noticed that the lid made a certain noise, I played around with it and eventually played "Under the Sea" on it. I did some other things until I decided it was bed time, but I was like a caveman discovering the world.

I'm not entirely sure what happened, but the best way to describe it was "my brain had a blue screen of death and it rebooted in safe mode. Really. Normally, I have like 3-5 "programs" running in my head at once, all competing for "resources." In safe mode, everything was quiet. My thoughts were completely silent. There was no filter for the sensory input, and it was interesting. I also couldn't talk. I don't know if I just didn't want to, or temporarily forgot how.

Well I went to bed, and when I woke up, things felt nice, like no stress. I tried "running" "entrepreneurial.exe" but it just wouldn't "run." Wow. Crazy. I was able to really do well with my group with our marketing project.

Then I get to the engineering campus, and I still can't get "entrepreneurial.exe" to "run." I tell my group members, "guys, this class finally bested me. Here's what happened last night, and I can't get 'entrepreneurial.exe' to run." Being engineers, they understood my jargon. They were able to present the idea well, well enough to get approved. Though that might have been the professors meeting before hand and saying "look, they aren't going to create the next great product, just let them continue so they can learn the rest of the process." Either way, approved.

Now for my really good news. Part of the project requires us to figure out the measurements needed for our lever. After a semester of reading, writing, and trying to prove our idea, I finally get to use math. I was so happy. I missed math.

I went to the pokemon league for the first time in weeks. It felt good to play again, even if I essentially did nothing but lose. I admit that I'm the worst trainer in our league. I don't care. I have fun and I still get badges. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment